Skateboarding has been on my thoughts for many years. Although I began skateboarding after I was 9 years outdated (and beloved it then), I finished after a few years as a result of none of my mates might skate. For a lot of, a few years, I didn’t know the way to get again into it, and I regretted all that misplaced time. I didn’t know I had ADHD till I used to be in my late 20s (I’m in my 40s now), however, on reflection, I see how my ADHD mind was caught on determining the place to start and the way to simply “do the factor.”
I discovered my means again to skateboarding in 2020. In the midst of the pandemic, my husband determined he needed to be taught to skateboard. Then our daughter bought into it. Then our son. So our household hit the skateparks.
That’s how I discovered Telma and Wealthy and the Later Skaters Gang, an grownup skate motion that began in Toronto (the place I dwell) and is now international. Oorbee Roy, who has turn into a TikTok sensation as “Aunty Skates,” is one other Later Skater pal of mine. At 47, she drops into big bowls and shreds her yard mini ramp, typically whereas sporting a sari.
At 43, I’m ecstatic to be skating once more. Not simply because it’s a enjoyable technique to train, however as a result of it’s extremely therapeutic.
9 Methods Skateboarding Steadies My ADHD Mind
1. Regular dopamine hits maintain me motivated. Skating forces me to decide on one small purpose to attain and rejoice at a time. The dopamine rush I get after I land a trick retains me motivated and centered on the subsequent step.
[Get This Free Download: 15 Health and Fitness Tips to Target ADHD Symptoms]
2. There are serotonin hits, too. Skating outdoor within the recent air and daylight offers me a lift of serotonin and uplifts my temper.
3. I relish the endorphin launch. The bodily act of driving round on my skateboard releases feel-good hormones that cut back stress and even present ache reduction for my joints.
4. I work out my cerebellum. I’m not pulling off kickflips or carving large bowls but. However I’m bettering my stability and management over the board, which works out my cerebellum. A stronger cerebellum may end up in improved consideration, focus, and emotional management.
5. I’m creating friendships and strengthening connections. I attempt to be part of as many Later Skater meetups as I can. I get a launch of oxytocin as I bond with this optimistic group of skaters. They remind me that all of us battle detrimental self-talk and psychological blocks. They usually cheer me on and supply suggestions to assist me progress. It’s means simpler to remain motivated and constant after I’m having a blast on my board with mates.
[Read: How to Make Friends as an Adult — A Guide for Women with ADHD]
6. I get to expertise a wholesome adrenaline rush. Like many individuals with ADHD, I’m drawn to danger and pleasure. And skateboarding brings the fitting stage of thrill-seeking. I’ll fall as I maintain skateboarding. However studying the way to fall safely offers me the braveness to maintain progressing to the subsequent stage.
7. I could be artistic. Once I’m on my skateboard, I’m making artistic selections and carving my very own path. It’s exhilarating to juggle so many potentialities.
8. I can hyperfocus. We’ve gone so far as to have a mini ramp in-built our basement so we are able to skateboard at dwelling. I used to be anxious we wouldn’t use it sufficient, however we do, and we’ve invited just a few Later Skater mates over for periods. (Thanks, Pete, for serving to me with rock to fakies and tail stalls!)
9. I get caught — and unstuck. Skateboarding has helped me bodily, mentally, and socially. However even with all the great, and after making so many new skate mates, I typically nonetheless really feel caught — in my head or prior to now. I’ll be totally padded and skating across the park a bit, solely to cease and watch everybody else shred. When this occurs, I give myself a jolt. What’s the Later Skaters Gang about? “Irrespective of the age or ability stage, it’s all about little wins, a love of skateboarding and having enjoyable.”
It’s By no means Too Late — for Skateboarding or Something Else
Regardless of my hiatus from skateboarding, the game by no means actually ended up in my graveyard of deserted pursuits. It won’t be buried alongside bowling, stamp gathering, and Mid-century trendy furnishings restoration.
I by no means imagined I’d be spending my 40s connecting with folks from all around the world who share a love for skateboarding. However right here I’m. I even bought to seem in an epic video by Later Skaters Gang known as These Are the Moments, that includes 120 skaters and their skate clips from 2022. There I’m for a few seconds, trying a 50-50 on a little bit ramp on the skatepark. May not appear like a lot, but it surely was a private win for me. And a reminder to take pleasure in all of the little moments, to simply maintain pushing.
Imagine me, it’s by no means too late to skate — or to seek out what helps you thrive. As my Aunty Skates T-shirt jogs my memory: “It’s by no means too late to dwell your greatest life!”
Skateboarding, Wellbeing, and ADHD: Subsequent Steps
Myra is a spouse, mom, and trainer from Toronto who likes to write about #theBIGinSmallThings. When she’s not looking for her keys or pockets, Myra loves ingesting bubble tea and skateboarding along with her household.
Thanks for studying ADDitude. To assist our mission of offering ADHD training and assist, please consider subscribing. Your readership and assist assist make our content material and outreach doable. Thanks.